Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has hinted that Jadon Sancho could be playing more regularly from the number 10 role after making his comeback to first-team action.
The England international started the season on a bright note but his performances faded in October before he was dropped from the matchday squads by Ten Hag.
The manager sent him on a special training programme to the Netherlands during the winter break and the forward is now ready to play after improving his physicality.
Sancho made his first appearance since October in the 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest last night.
The 22-year-old came on after the hour mark to play in the number 10 role with Bruno Fernandes moving to the right wing. Ten Hag believes that could be a future position for him.
Speaking after the game, he told Manutd.com: “I thought it was great, the fans they gave him love and I think he enjoyed it. He enjoyed it, to be back on the pitch.”
“I’ve seen in the last couple of weeks at Carrington smiling and I hope he can keep the process going and have a huge contribution to the season.
“With Jadon, I know he can play as a no.10 as well, he can play as a winger, he can play as a no.10. But I think we mix it around often and that is what I like.
“But the position has to be occupied, it is about that. And players have to keep the discipline to do that, otherwise it is going to be a mess.”
Sancho perfect for the number 10 role at United
Sancho has largely played in the wide attacking positions in his early career but his limited top speed does not allow him to get past defenders more often in the Premier League.
Hence, he has struggled to make regular goal contributions. However, his fortunes could change, now that Ten Hag is considering him for the number 10 role.
The England star is gifted with good dribbling skills and has the ability to pick out key passes. Playing in an attacking midfield role could bring the best out of him.
Sancho, who was once described as a ‘special‘ player by Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar, may not be a regular starter for the time being but could be used in regular rotation.
We saw how Fernandes was more effective from the right wing yesterday. Ten Hag also spoke about it after the game saying that it provides a ‘different dynamic’.
This could happen more often in games where Antony tends to struggle. The Brazilian has been an undisputed starter lately but can’t take his place for granted.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books