Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided an injury update on Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford ahead of the Carabao Cup final against Newcastle United on Sunday.
The Red Devils reached the last 16 of the Europa League last night following a stunning 2-1 comeback win over Barcelona. They will meet Real Betis home and away next month.
The immediate focus will now turn to the League Cup final at the Wembley Stadium this weekend and ahead of the clash, Ten Hag has offered an update on Martial and Rashford.
Martial has not been involved for the Red Devils since his goalscoring cameo against Nottingham Forest in the second leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final which was played on February 1.
Ten Hag has now confirmed that Martial won’t feature on Sunday despite returning to individual training.
He told Manutd.com: “No, he will not be available.”
Meanwhile, the Dutch tactician is unsure over the fitness of Rashford. He was struggling with a foot injury before his substitution yesterday and was spotted limping while leaving Old Trafford.
When pressed on Rashford’s availability for Sunday’s final, Ten Hag insisted that he has no update on his fitness and the club will get to know more following the necessary medical checks.
He added: “I don’t know. Players are now coming in [to Carrington], we have to do investigations, medical [checks]. Straight after a game you can’t say, you have to wait for medical [checks].”
United favourites for Carabao Cup final
Rashford has been in sensational form for United since the World Cup. He has netted 16 goals from 18 appearances and has helped the club win the vast majority of their matches.
Despite this, the Red Devils are not a one-man team. Rashford was far from his best yesterday but the club still won after second-half goals from Fred and Antony.
Ten Hag has repeatedly said that it is a team effort. There is definitely confidence flowing through the squad with the way they have been performing in recent months.
Rashford should be fit for Sunday’s Wembley showdown. If he does not make the squad, Ten Hag will expect someone else from the squad to step up for the big occasion.
Wout Weghorst could get another chance to lead the line on Sunday. One thing is for sure, there won’t be any excuse from the manager if United don’t lift the trophy.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books