Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has said that the club will need to handle Anthony Martial with extra caution following his recovery from an Achilles injury.
The Frenchman had a good pre-season this summer, but suffered a hamstring injury in the penultimate friendly. As a result, he missed the opening two Premier League matches.
The 26-year-old made his comeback against Liverpool where he was a second-half substitute, but his return was shortlived as he picked up an Achilles injury towards the end.
Martial fully recovered from his latest setback to make a cameo in the Manchester derby loss and Ten Hag now wants to integrate him slowly into the first team plans.
He told Manutd.com: “We are happy he’s back. But we will take it careful, step by step, in a process to bring him back. He [has] played now almost a half, so 35 minutes, which is good, and now we have to extend that. But [we will do that] from game to game, and we have a lot of games to cover.”
Martial has a key role to play for Man Utd
Before the end of last season, there were doubts whether Martial would fit into Ten Hag’s plans, considering his languid style of play and low work rate.
However, he has seemingly been transformed under the Dutchman. The ‘quality‘ star has been willing to press higher up and also looks more pro-active in the final third.
He has yet to play 90 minutes for United amid two injuries, but has left a big mark with an assist against Liverpool before scoring two goals in the heavy derby defeat.
Martial could be in line to make his first start of the season this evening, but it may not be an extended stint and he could be subbed at half-time or at the hour mark.
United have another 11 games (after today) to play before the World Cup break and they can ill-afford more injuries. They are already missing as many as four key players.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner