Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has heaped praise on midfielder Scott McTominay following his late stoppage-time winner against Omonia in the Europa League.
The Red Devils produced a poor attacking performance against the Cypriot side. Their finishing was far from impressive while goalkeeper Francis Uzoho had a blinder in Omonia’s goal.
It seemed that United were headed for a costly draw, but McTominay came on late off the bench to bag the only goal of the game. The victory was crucial in United’s pursuit of the top spot in the group.
Speaking after the 1-0 triumph, Ten Hag said that he was ‘really happy’ for McTominay, who played ‘really well’ and was ‘fantastic’ despite his reduced game time over the past few outings.
He told MUTV via United District: “I’m really happy for Scott [McTominay]. He played really well. Now, Casemiro came in, so it reduces his play time, but he came in and done fantastic.”
McTominay had a poor showing in the Manchester derby at the start of the month and he has since been displaced from the starting line-up with Casemiro featuring in the number six role.
The Brazilian has made the most of those opportunities, winning several duels and he is now expected to start in Sunday’s Premier League clash against Newcastle United at Old Trafford.
McTominay got himself booked in his cameo league appearance against Everton last weekend and as a result, he is suspended against the Magpies for accumulating five yellow cards.
It is unfortunate for the Scot, but he remains in the good books of the manager. With the hectic schedule, McTominay will surely get another chance to reclaiming his starting position.
The Red Devils have a crucial period ahead with Newcastle, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea to face in the league in a matter of just seven days. They must improve on their finishing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr