Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag was delighted with the performance of Jadon Sancho during the club’s 2-0 Europa League win over Sheriff yesterday.
The Red Devils needed a strong performance after the 1-0 loss to Real Sociedad last week, and did exactly that by controlling the proceedings against Sheriff.
Sancho was undoubtedly one of the top performers. Just like the Liverpool game, Sancho showed terrific composure in the box before scoring with his left foot.
The England international came close to bagging a brace in the first half, but his effort was cleared off the line. Still, it was another top showing from the winger.
Speaking after the game, Ten Hag was delighted with a great team goal to open the scoring and heaped praise on Sancho for finishing off the chance created.
He told Manutd.com: “It was a great goal and I am really happy for Jadon [Sancho] and he finished off a really good goal, a team goal. But I also think it showed a really good team performance.”
“I think Jadon has so much has potential, he had good pre-season. First he invested a lot and is on his way to getting really fit. It is a process, he scores goal and is in the moment in the season where he is more secure.”
Sancho provides perfect answer to England snub
Sancho had a difficult debut season at United with just five goals across all competitions, but he has certainly stepped up his performances this campaign.
After a positive pre-season, the 22-year-old has bagged three goals in eight appearances. All of his contributions have come in winning situations for United.
Hence, he seems to be getting back to his best after a tough maiden campaign, and needs to keep on performing at the same level to push for a World Cup berth.
In our view, Sancho should have been picked by Gareth Southgate for the Nations League games. He has certainly performed better than Jarrod Bowen and Jack Grealish.
There is still time left with two months before the winter World Cup. The onus is on Sancho to maintain his glowing form to persuade Southgate into changing his stance.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI