Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is delighted to have Lisandro Martinez and Casemiro back in training.
The South American duo returned to training recently following their long-term absence due to injuries.
Casemiro has been out of action since the start of November with a hamstring injury he suffered against Newcastle United.
Martinez had to undergo surgery on a recurring foot problem in September. He last featured against United’s 4-3 Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich.
Ten Hag told ManUtd.com: “Two class players and they will bring the team forward. We know that and now we’re looking forward to their return to the team on matchdays.
“But we have to wait for that. They still need some time to fully make their comeback but yeah, it is a good signal that they are back on the grass with the team, in the team training.
“Now, we have to make the next step [to get them] fully in the team training, and then they can work with us.”
Martinez and Casemiro can steady Ten Hag’s sinking ship
The Red Devils are in the midst of a poor season.
They are already out of the Champions League and League Cup and nine points behind fourth spot in the Premier League.
The FA Cup is their only chance to win a silverware this season.
The return of Casemiro and Martinez will be a huge boost to the club and manager.
Ten Hag may not risk them against Wigan Athletic in the third round of the FA Cup. However, they could feature against Tottenham Hotspur on January 14.
The Red Devils have lost 14 of their 28 games across all competitions this season.
Casemiro and Martinez will have a huge role to play to ensure that their side finishes the season on a high.
They are the two best signings under Ten Hag’s watch. United spent more than €125 million to bring them to the Theatre of Dreams.
They played a massive role in helping United achieve their targets last season. Ten Hag will be hoping that the duo can hit the ground running, as his Old Trafford future is also under scrutiny.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow