Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says Hannibal Mejbri has sent a ‘very good message’ to the rest of the squad following his breakthrough into the first team.
The Tunisian youngster had a lively pre-season campaign with the Red Devils, but there were claims that he could leave the club over the summer due to the Financial Fair Play situation.
However, that did not happen. The 20-year-old has now grabbed his chance with both hands.
He scored a stunning long-range goal in the 3-1 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion, coming off the bench. Mejbri was an unused substitute versus Bayern Munich but has started the next two games.
The club graduate has fared well from an advanced midfield position and speaking ahead of the Crystal Palace clash today, Ten Hag was full of praise for the promising talent.
The Dutch tactician said that his breakthrough sends a ‘very good message’ to the rest of the squad. He added that ‘this is the demand’ and ‘this has to be the standard’.
He told Manutd.com: “I think he gives a very good message to the rest of the squad, that this is the demand and this has to be the standard.”
“When you are playing that position, [this is] what you have to bring to the team to get success.
“Especially when you are playing against possession teams, he is a really good fit and can give a good contribution to a good performance and to a result.”
United secured a comfortable 3-0 win over Crystal Palace at home in the Carabao Cup third round on Tuesday. They host them again in the Premier League today.
There will be a much-changed Palace outfit at Old Trafford, but Ten Hag will also strengthen his line-up with Marcus Rashford, Rasmus Hojlund and Bruno Fernandes.
On paper, it should be a routine victory for United, but Palace can’t be taken lightly. The south London club have won twice in the previous five visits to the stadium.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling