Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is pushing to sign Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries, according to Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg.
The Red Devils have largely depended on Diogo Dalot for the right-back role this term. His deputy Aaron Wan-Bissaka has played just four minutes of first-team football.
Ahead of January, there are suggestions that the 25-year-old could be loaned out or sold and Plettenberg now reveals that the club are looking at three right-back options.
Bayer Leverkusen’s Jeremie Frimpong and Lyon’s Malo Gusto are under consideration, but the latter may not be available for a transfer until the end of the campaign.
Aside from the duo, it is claimed that Dumfries is also on the Red Devils’ radar. United boss Ten Hag is apparently pushing to bring the Dutchman to Old Trafford.
United need a strong competitor for right-back spot
Dalot has made the right-back position his own this season. The Portuguese has literally had no competition from Wan-Bissaka, who lacks the offensive threat.
In Dumfries, United would get a big upgrade in the department. The 26-year-old has been superb for club and country over the past 18 months with several goal contributions.
He started off his career as a right-back but has been transformed into a right wing-back since 2021. This could be a good thing for Ten Hag, who prefers attacking full-backs.
Dumfries could offer strong competition to Dalot with his all-round qualities. In his final season at PSV, he averaged 1.5 tackles and 1.6 interceptions per game from right-back.
The Dutchman also won over two aerial duels on average. He should have no trouble adapting to the position again and should have more license to push forward under Ten Hag.
It remains to be seen whether the hierarchy will back Ten Hag in the pursuit of Dumfries next month. Inter have no plans of selling him for less than €60 million in the near future.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract