Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided an update on Kobbie Mainoo following his freak ankle injury against Real Madrid.
The youngster has been hugely impressive in pre-season for the Red Devils, and he recently starred in the 2-0 win over Arsenal in New Jersey.
As a result, the 18-year-old was paired alongside Casemiro in the starting XI vs Madrid, but he got injured in just the second minute of the game.
Casemiro’s clinical foul on Rodrygo saw him fall onto the ankle of Mainoo. The club graduate was assisted off the field by United’s medical staff.
Speaking after the game, Ten Hag said that he has no update on the extent of the injury, but a proper assessment will be made very soon.
The Dutchman was hopeful that the injury was not serious, and admitted that he was really looking forward to see Mainoo’s performance.
He told Manutd.com: “I understand the question. But you can never tell straight after a game. We have to wait for what it is. So, hopefully, it’s not too bad and then chances will come. I wanted to see what levels he could play.”
“Against Arsenal, we were pleased with his performance. I wanted to see if he could repeat that, some days after, from then, we would have conclusions. First, we have to wait for the diagnosis and, from there on, we will set conclusions.”
Mainoo suffers unfortunate injury vs Real Madrid
The 18-year-old was visibly disappointed after missing out on the chance to impress against Madrid.
Following the game, he was spotted leaving the stadium with a protective boot on his left foot. Hopefully, there is nothing serious and he can make a quick comeback.
Amad Diallo recently twisted his ankle against Arsenal, but he was back on the bench to face Madrid.
In Mainoo’s case, there was contact from Rodrygo, but the fans will be optimistic that the youngster can make a swift recovery. He has been a revelation to watch.
On current form, he is definitely a strong contender to start the Premier League curtain-raiser. We should get a clear update on the midfielder’s injury situation soon.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action