Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is unsure whether Anthony Martial could be available for first-team action before the international break this month.
The Frenchman has suffered five separate injuries during the ongoing campaign for United. He has already missed 28 games for the club across all competitions.
Martial is currently nursing a nagging hip problem and Ten Hag has refused to provide a suitable timescale for his return to the playing field for the Red Devils.
Speaking to reporters yesterday, the Dutch tactician did not confirm whether Martial could be involved for United before the international break on March 20.
He told Manutd.com: “I hope but I won’t give a prospective [time], or an expectation about that.”
“Let him do his work, as several times now, he has been back and he drops back too quickly.
“We [have to] give him the time and I hope he is on board but first, in this moment, we are doing really well in this set-up. When he is available, we will have another option, a good option.
“Let’s give him the time and we will see when he is back. Then we will be happy because we have a quality option extra for the rest of the season.”
Martial struggling to prove his fitness
The 27-year-old has been impressive up front for United when fit. He has scored six goals and provided two assists from just 720 minutes of playing time.
Before the World Cup, Ten Hag admitted that he is the perfect striker for him with his hold-up play and pressing, but the Frenchman has failed to stay unscathed.
The manager obviously considers him as a ‘really important‘ player in the squad, but United could decide to cash in on him if he cannot get over his fitness concerns.
Ten Hag has now hinted that Martial may not return to action until April. It will be interesting to see whether the Frenchman can remain injury free for the rest of the season.
Otherwise, United could part ways with Martial this summer in order to recoup funds for a marquee striker. Victor Osimhen and Goncalo Ramos are on their radar.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups