Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag provided a fresh injury update on Harry Maguire following the club’s 2-2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League.
The Red Devils secured a comfortable 2-0 lead at the interval last night but they failed to turn up in the second half. Spurs fought back to share the spoils in the game.
Speaking after the stalemate, Ten Hag was posed with multiple questions from reporters and one of those was on the fitness of Maguire, who picked up a knock in training.
He said via Manutd.com: “In this moment, I can’t say anything about that. We have to wait, to talk with the medical and to talk with Harry. We will see.”
United have had a dismal period with injuries. They have already lost Lisandro Martinez for the campaign following his metatarsal fracture against Sevilla this month.
Meanwhile, Raphael Varane picked up an ankle injury in the same game. The Frenchman may not return to action until the FA Cup final versus Manchester City on June 3.
Hence, the club are short in options at the heart of the defence. Luke Shaw has had to play as a makeshift centre-back alongside Victor Lindelof over the past two games.
Maguire missed the FA Cup semi-final due to suspension but he was anticipated to return to the starting line-up last night. Unfortunately, he missed the game with a knock.
The club captain has struggled for form and consistency this term but United still require his services.
Ten Hag would have liked to reinforce his central defence off the bench yesterday but he had no specialist option to call upon. Hopefully, Maguire will be fit for Sunday’s game.
United host Unai Emery’s Aston Villa at Old Trafford this weekend. It promises to be another thrilling contest. The Villains are one of the most in-form teams at the moment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m