Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided a fitness update on three players before Sunday’s Premier League clash against Arsenal on the road.
The Red Devils recently suffered a setback with a 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace. As a result, they remain eight points behind leaders Arsenal with a game in hand.
The club will have the opportunity to cut the deficit at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday and ahead of the encounter, Ten Hag has provided an update on three United stars.
Anthony Martial and Diogo Dalot were ruled out in midweek with leg and thigh injuries respectively and Ten Hag has said that they will be assessed before the Gunners meeting.
He told Manutd.com (presser was held on Wednesday): “No, sorry. It’s Wednesday. We’ll have to see how far they are, if they are fit for the game on Sunday.”
Meanwhile, Sancho has been back in training over the past few days and when asked over his availability, Ten Hag said that the club will go step-by-step with him.
He added: “He’s making the next step. Yesterday for the first time he was in team training. Team training is the final training before a game, so we will extend that in the coming days, [the] coming week, and then go step-by-step.”
United have been in terrific form over the past few weeks. They were on a stunning nine-match winning streak before Michael Olise’s stunning stoppage-time equaliser for Palace.
The result was painful to take, but the major setback from the game was the booking for Casemiro. The Brazilian is now suspended for the Arsenal clash after accumulating five yellow cards in the league.
Ten Hag has still spoken positively about the club’s chances of beating Arsenal without Casemiro. He has highlighted how United got the better of the Gunners at Old Trafford without the Brazilian starting.
Scott McTominay had a solid game in the centre of the park back then. The Scotland international could have another huge role to play if the club want to do the double over Mikel Arteta’s side.
United have not won a league game at the Emirates since December 2017 – a game where David de Gea was world class between the sticks. The Spaniard made a stunning 14 saves on that day.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- PSV Eindhoven interested in signing Man Utd forward Anthony Elanga
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Reading, Garnacho and Pellistri start
- “I’m not Harry Potter” – Erik ten Hag outlines real reasons for Marcus Rashford’s resurgence
- Anthony Elanga and Facundo Pellistri to stay at Manchester United
- Denzel Dumfries’ agent pushing Man Utd to finalise summer transfer
- How Man Utd could sign Everton wonderkid this summer
- Man Utd can sign RB Leipzig star Dani Olmo for €70m this summer
- Manchester United vs Reading: FA Cup preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Erik ten Hag confirms fresh Man Utd concern ahead of Reading clash
- Man Utd should consider loan move for Federico Chiesa with future buy option