Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided a big injury update on Raphael Varane following the club’s FA Cup semi-final victory over Brighton & Hove Albion.
The Red Devils booked their spot in the FA Cup final against Manchester City following a penalty shoot-out win over the Seagulls. Victor Lindelof converted the winning spotkick.
Speaking after the hard-fought result, Ten Hag revealed to Alex Crook that Varane could be fit for the Manchester derby at the Wembley Stadium or maybe sooner.
Varane’s return would be a huge boost for Man Utd
The Frenchman picked up an ankle injury during the first leg of the Europa League quarter-final against Sevilla. He was substituted at the half-time interval.
It was recently revealed by The Mirror that he could be available for the FA Cup final in June and Ten Hag has now acknowledged that could be a possibility.
Hopefully, Varane will be available to return sooner than that. The Red Devils currently have another eight games to play in their Premier League campaign.
After Tottenham Hotspur’s 6-1 rout at St James’ Park today, the club are now six points clear of them in fourth, having played two games less.
Hence, they are in a very strong position to qualify for the Champions League and a victory at Spurs on Thursday night could pretty much seal their spot.
Varane is unlikely to return in the forthcoming games but Ten Hag will be hoping that he will be involved in his plans in the lead up to the FA Cup final on June 3.
In that way, the £36 million-rated star will have ideal preparation time for the Manchester derby.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return