Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo refused to come on as a late substitute during Wednesday’s 2-0 Premier League win over Tottenham Hotspur.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways with a convincing victory over the north London side. They dominated the proceedings from the off and fully deserved the three points.
Amidst this, there was an unsavoury incident with Ronaldo walking down the tunnel before the final whistle and United have since confirmed that he won’t be in the squad to face Chelsea.
Speaking in today’s press conference, Ten Hag has now revealed that Ronaldo refused to make an appearance off the substitutes’ bench after which he left the dugout in the 89th minute.
He told Manutd.com: “Yes. What’s the talk if you ask about that is between Cristiano and me. I think the statement is also clear. That’s also in the statement. He remains an important part of the squad.”
Meanwhile, there has been no positive news on the injury front.
Anthony Martial has been nursing a hip concern since the 2-1 win at Everton. Ten Hag has now confirmed that the £14.4 million-rated star will play no part against the Blues in tomorrow’s late kick-off.
He added: “Martial? He was on the [training] pitch, but he’s not available for tomorrow. We have to see how it develops in the coming days.”
United are currently one point behind Chelsea in the race for the final Champions League spot and they have the opportunity to leapfrog the Blues with a victory at Stamford Bridge tomorrow.
It won’t be straightforward particularly given the nature of recent meetings. United have picked up draws in each of the last four encounters against Chelsea with two of those finishing 0-0.
Hopefully, Ten Hag’s side will end the streak with another victory to break into the top four for the first time this season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause