Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has praised Marcus Rashford as a team player ahead of the Premier League clash against West Ham United this afternoon.
Rashford has been a solid performer for the Red Devils since making his debut six years ago. He has been a consistent contributor of goals and assists with the exception of last season.
Against the Hammers, he has the opportunity to score his 100th goal in the United colours. Speaking ahead of the game, Ten Hag was full of praise for Rashford, who turns 25 tomorrow.
He told Manutd.com: “Yeah, that will come [100th goal for United]. Most important is, of course, if we get a win, but I think Marcus knows that, so he is always acting really as a team player.”
“But he is on the pitch to score goals. When he’s doing well, he will be in positions that he can score a goal and then it is about hitting the target, hitting the goal and getting them in.
“I hope for him, Sunday will be the case, but it will come definitely and that will be a massive performance from a player who will be 25 on Monday.”
Rashford has transformed his fortunes under Ten Hag
Rashford had a frustrating 2021/22 campaign following a shoulder surgery. The England international registered just five goals and two assists from 32 appearances in all competitions.
He has looked a completely different player this term with six goals and three assists from 14 outings, but we are yet to see the best of him. Rashford has missed some clear-cut scoring chances lately.
The 24-year-old is likely to lead the line against the Hammers today. He has the opportunity to not only bag his 100th club goal but also help United close the gap on the top four to just one point.
Rashford likes to play against David Moyes’ side with four goals and four assists from 16 meetings. He bagged a last-gasp winner (1-0 win) when the teams met at Old Trafford earlier this year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January