Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided an update on four players ahead of the Premier League clash against Nottingham Forest on Saturday afternoon.
The Red Devils have had a mixed start to their top-flight campaign. They have picked up only three points from the first two games against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur.
Ten Hag will want a strong response against Forest at Old Trafford tomorrow and ahead of the encounter, he has provided an update on Luke Shaw, Mason Mount, Tyrell Malacia and Rasmus Hojlund.
Shaw recently sustained a muscular injury and when asked about his condition, the manager said that he can’t put a timescale, but his recovery will likely be longer than Mount.
He told Manutd.com: “We can’t do that [put a timescale] – it’s personal these days, they will be for some period absent where Luke will be longer than Mason [Mount]. Luke will be longer than Mason I think.”
Malacia was Shaw’s deputy at left-back for most of last season, but the Dutchman has not played any part since pre-season, having picked up an injury on international duty.
Ten Hag has now revealed that the Netherlands star will take another ‘few weeks’ to return, and the club need to find solutions within the squad to cope with the duo’s absence.
He added: “Will also take a few weeks before he will be back. Definitely, we have the solutions in our squad to cope with that [at left-back]. We thought before the season about this scenario, it could happen, you hope to avoid. But if it happens you have to be ready for it.”
Meanwhile, summer signing Rasmus Hojlund has today joined in full training after his back issue, but Ten Hag believes he requires another week with the group before he can make the matchday squad.
He explained: “Not [ready] for tomorrow. [He’s] near. Today, for the first time, he came into team training so next week we expect him to do a full week of team training so he is near to the squad.”
United entertain Steve Cooper’s side at Old Trafford and they should be overwhelming favourites. The club faced Forest on four occasions last season, and won each of those games without conceding.
The midfield performances have been unconvincing in the opening two matches and hopefully, we will see an improvement against Forest. Christian Eriksen is likely to replace the injured Mount.
The other enforced change could be in defence with Diogo Dalot filling the void left by Shaw.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns