Manchester United ended their six-year trophy drought on Sunday evening with an impressive 2-0 win over Newcastle United in the Carabao Cup final.
The Red Devils started in a relatively slow fashion at the Wembley Stadium but kept their composure before breaking the deadlock through Casemiro in the 33rd minute.
Six minutes later, a Sven Botman own goal made it 2-0 for United. Marcus Rashford deserves a lot of credit for the goal, having forced the centre-back into making the error.
In the second half, United comfortably saw off the threat from the Magpies. Aaron Wan-Bissaka particularly caught the eye after an exceptional performance off the bench.
Wan-Bissaka’s future was heavily speculated ahead of January. The right-back had played just four minutes in the season and there was talk of him leaving in the New Year.
However, the 25-year-old redeemed himself when Diogo Dalot was on the sidelines and manager Erik ten Hag now has a welcome dilemma ahead of the summer transfer window.
Wan-Bissaka has regained his lost confidence over the past few months and he looks back to his defensive best which made him a huge hit during the start of his career.
Against the Magpies, he was phenomenal with seven tackles and eight duels won after the break. He replaced Dalot and completely nullified the threat from Saint-Maximin.
The former Crystal Palace man still has to improve his offensive game but the big question mark is now whether Ten Hag will consider selling Wan-Bissaka during the summer.
We saw yesterday how the manager played with the strengths of both players. Dalot is definitely better going forward while Wan-Bissaka is known for his one-on-one defending.
United are currently tracking Bayer Leverkusen right-back Jeremie Frimpong, who is an attacking right-back by trade. The Dutchman also possesses superb defensive attributes.
Frimpong would suit Ten Hag’s playing style at United but there is a huge decision to be made on Wan-Bissaka and possibly Dalot, who has yet to pen a new long-term contract.
For much of the season, Wan-Bissaka has been touted as the right-back to leave if a replacement is signed but Dalot could be the one if he does not extend his current deal.
The Portuguese’s contract expires at the end of next season and the club are yet to agree fresh terms. Barcelona are said to be keeping a close eye on his situation at Old Trafford.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups