Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag must start Amad Diallo if Marcus Rashford is not fit enough to play against Newport County in the FA Cup fourth-round tie on Sunday.
The England international has had a forgettable season but has shown signs of improvement in the last three games.
The United manager started Rashford in his favoured left-wing spot, forcing Alejandro Garnacho to occupy the opposite flank.
Ten Hag told MUTV in his exclusive club-media interview that Rashford is doubtful for the game against the League Two club.
“This morning, Rashford was ill and Evans was ill,” Ten Hag said. “So we have to see how they recover.”
If the 26-year-old is not fit enough to start the game, Ten Hag could bring Garnacho back to the left flank.
Antony can occupy the right-wing spot, but Amad Diallo must be given an opportunity.
The Ivory Coast international starred during his loan spell with Sunderland last season.
The United supporters thought the youngster would enjoy a breakthrough year.
However, he suffered a serious knee injury in pre-season that kept him out for almost the first half of the season.
He returned in United’s 2-1 defeat to Nottingham Forest last month. He showed more promise in his cameo appearance than Antony had done all term.
Diallo would be hoping to receive an extended run in the side to prove his mettle.
The starlet showed glimpses of his enormous potential at the Stadium of Light in the previous campaign.
He needs to prove to the club that he has the quality to perform consistently in the top flight.
Ten Hag’s side has struggled with creativity. With Jadon Sancho leaving for Borussia Dortmund and Anthony Martial out for several weeks, Diallo has an opportunity to nail down a spot in the first-team.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow