Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is looking to maximise the club’s budget this summer with the free transfer signing of Christian Eriksen.
The Red Devils are expected to pursue multiple players during the upcoming transfer window, and The Mirror reports that Ten Hag is eyeing at least six signings.
However, there will be budget constraints in the process, and the Dutchman wants to maximise the spending with a Bosman deal for Eriksen, who was in sublime form for Brentford last term.
Eriksen suffered a shock cardiac arrest scare at the European Championships last summer, but returned to training few months later at Ajax, where Ten Hag was the head coach.
The 52-year-old was ‘hugely impressed’ by the Dane’s desire to make a comeback. His displays at Brentford this year have ‘strengthened his belief’ that he can be part of his rebuild at United.
Eriksen was offered a short-term deal by Brentford in January this year. He made his debut off the bench in late February before starting the final 10 games of the Premier League campaign.
The £13.5 million-rated star generally operated from central midfield, but made a key impact in the final third with one goal and four assists. He averaged an impressive two shots per game with 2.7 key passes.
Aside from his goal contributions and build-up play, Eriksen also excelled with his deliveries into the box. He managed three accurate crosses per appearance, something that United have lacked in their ranks.
With his Bees contract expiring on June 30, a free transfer is definitely a tempting prospect for United. They may have the edge over Tottenham Hotspur despite the latter qualifying for the Champions League.
Eriksen spent six-and-a-half years with Spurs before joining Inter in January 2020. He wanted to try ‘something new’ and could relish another fresh challenge with Ten Hag’s United next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio