Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is looking to maximise the club’s budget this summer with the free transfer signing of Christian Eriksen.
The Red Devils are expected to pursue multiple players during the upcoming transfer window, and The Mirror reports that Ten Hag is eyeing at least six signings.
However, there will be budget constraints in the process, and the Dutchman wants to maximise the spending with a Bosman deal for Eriksen, who was in sublime form for Brentford last term.
Eriksen suffered a shock cardiac arrest scare at the European Championships last summer, but returned to training few months later at Ajax, where Ten Hag was the head coach.
The 52-year-old was ‘hugely impressed’ by the Dane’s desire to make a comeback. His displays at Brentford this year have ‘strengthened his belief’ that he can be part of his rebuild at United.
Eriksen was offered a short-term deal by Brentford in January this year. He made his debut off the bench in late February before starting the final 10 games of the Premier League campaign.
The £13.5 million-rated star generally operated from central midfield, but made a key impact in the final third with one goal and four assists. He averaged an impressive two shots per game with 2.7 key passes.
Aside from his goal contributions and build-up play, Eriksen also excelled with his deliveries into the box. He managed three accurate crosses per appearance, something that United have lacked in their ranks.
With his Bees contract expiring on June 30, a free transfer is definitely a tempting prospect for United. They may have the edge over Tottenham Hotspur despite the latter qualifying for the Champions League.
Eriksen spent six-and-a-half years with Spurs before joining Inter in January 2020. He wanted to try ‘something new’ and could relish another fresh challenge with Ten Hag’s United next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd join Barcelona in race to sign midfielder Martin Zubimendi
- Key night for Manchester United trio as England eye World Cup progress
- Saudi government would back private sector bids for Man Utd
- Manchester United’s ‘winter’ friendlies and what Erik ten Hag can achieve with them