Incoming Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag is keen on landing the signature of Feyenoord defender Tyrell Malacia this summer, The Mirror reports.
The Dutchman will officially take charge at the end of the Premier League season, but there has already been speculation linking several players to the club.
It is now reported that Malacia is one of the prime targets for Ten Hag this summer as he looks to provide strong competition to Luke Shaw for the left-back spot.
Ten Hag previously wanted to bring Malacia for Ajax. The Netherlands international could be prised away for £20 million amid Feyenoord’s financial issues.
Malacia has been almost ever-present for Feyenoord this term, bagging five assists and one goal from 46 appearances. He has excelled with both facets of his game.
The Dutchman has impressed with his work rate and distribution, but has also been solid defensively. He has averaged 2.7 tackles per appearance this season.
Hence, he could be an ideal fit for Ten Hag next season. The 52-year-old tactician likes to work with full-backs, who prefer building up play from the back.
Ten Hag has been known for grooming young players into potential world-beaters, and it seems he may adopt a similar policy with United going forward.
The hierarchy are planning a couple of signings separately, but much of the emphasis could be on pursuing targets that would suit Ten Hag’s tactical system.
A deal for Malacia could pave the way for Alex Telles’ exit. The Brazilian has been error-prone defensively and recently had a torrid time dealing with Chelsea’s Reece James.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?