Incoming Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag is keen on a reunion with Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez this summer, The Telegraph reports.
The Dutchman wants a new central defender during the summer transfer window, and it appears he could sign a player from his former club.
Jurrien Timber has been linked with the Red Devils over the past few days, but it is now reported that Martinez is the preferred target for Ten Hag.
The Argentine is a ball-playing defender with good concentration skills. Ten Hag is a huge admirer of him. He could be prised away for £30 million.
Martinez missed the final phase of Ajax’s campaign with a muscle injury, but his defensive statistics have still been hugely impressive.
The 24-year-old has registered nearly two tackles and two interceptions per appearance while also winning three aerial duels.
On top of this, he has completed 90 per cent of his passes. He has also excelled with his ability to clear his lines regularly.
Such attributes make him an ideal fit for United. He faces a bigger challenge, but could adapt quickly due to Ten Hag’s presence.
The Argentine is well versed with the one-on-one defensive tactics under Ten Hag, and may seamlessly fit in at the heart of the backline.
He is currently on the sidelines with an injury. It should not pose a concern, having barely suffered any setbacks previously in his career.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest