Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has identified Tottenham Hotspur star Harry Kane as his prime striker target for the summer, Manchester Evening News claim.
The Red Devils recently returned to winning ways with a 4-1 victory over Real Betis in the Europa League but they should have scored more goals with the chances created.
Wout Weghorst ended his long scoring drought with the club’s fourth goal but the Dutchman also squandered three big chances. Hence, United need a clear upgrade.
The hierarchy are expected to back Ten Hag with funds for a marquee striker and it is reported that the 53-year-old is intent of bringing Kane to Old Trafford this summer.
Ten Hag wants a proven Premier League striker
United are currently in a strong position to qualify for next season’s Champions League. They are seven points ahead of fifth-placed Liverpool in the table.
Ten Hag will be eyeing a marquee striker to take United to the next level and there are not many better than Kane when it comes to the Premier League.
The 29-year-old has established himself as one of the all-time best and he recently became the third player in Premier League history to bag 200 goals.
Despite his efforts over the years, Spurs have struggled to compete at the top and they have not won any piece of silverware. He could realistically leave this summer.
Kane will enter the final year of his contract in July and Spurs may have no choice but to sell him. Otherwise, they could risk losing him on a free transfer.
Bayern Munich are also hot on the trail of the England star but United could have a big advantage as Kane may prefer to extend his Premier League career.
United are on the up under Ten Hag’s tutelage but they are currently lacking a world-class striker that can make them genuine challengers for the top-flight title.
Kane could be the answer to their problems.
The striker was leaning towards signing for City two years ago and he should now be tempted to move to Old Trafford in order to start winning trophies in his career.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups