Ajax manager Erik ten Hag has distanced himself from speculation linking him with a move to Manchester United this summer.
The Dutchman is regarded as one of the prime managerial candidates on the Red Devils’ radar. It has been reported that he would be very keen to listen to their offer.
However, Ten Hag has publicly remained tight-lipped over his future. Just days after Ajax’s Champions League exit, he has insisted that he is focused on the present.
He told reporters earlier today: “I am just focused on this season. All energy is being put in the current squad.”
“I don’t think about next season. I want to get the maximum out of the current season, we can still win 2 trophies.”
United have been under the temporary charge of Ralf Rangnick since December. While they started brightly under the German, things have gone pear-shaped in recent weeks.
Several first-team stars are not pleased with Rangnick’s tactics. This has raised the possibility of him being sacked. The hierarchy feel they made a mistake with the appointment.
Amidst this, the club are still actively looking for their next head coach. Judging by recent reports, it appears the board have shortlisted Mauricio Pochettino and Ten Hag as the front-runners.
Pochettino has been with Paris Saint-Germain since January last year, but his position remains precarious after the club’s round of 16 exit from the Champions League this month.
The club are also out of the French Cup while they lost the French Super Cup to Lille at the start of the campaign. This could pave the way for his dismissal during the summer.
United being long-term admirers of Pochettino may seek to pursue him, but the move may not go well with many fans, who are not overly impressed by his recent dugout experience.
On the contrary, Ten Hag’s ability to groom and develop young players into potential world beaters has impressed plenty. He could be an ideal manager if United have a long-term vision.
Ten Hag has not categorically denied any interest from the Red Devils. He could formally open talks with the club once he finishes the current campaign on a high with the Dutch champions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra