Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has found a new favourite in Alejandro Garnacho, who has started the last four games across all competitions.
The club graduate had a fantastic breakthrough campaign with the club last term. He registered five goals and five assists from 34 appearances – most of those contributions came in winning causes.
It was anticipated that he would carry on the good form this season. So far, he has registered just one assist from 15 outings, but Ten Hag looks prepared to back him with a consistent starting role.
Against Luton Town recently, the teenager completed 97 per cent of his passes from the left wing and made three key passes. He missed one big chance to score which was the case at Copenhagen.
Garnacho is far from a complete player at the moment but he has huge potential. Ten Hag is well aware of it and hopefully, the Dutchman will continue to back him with a starting spot after the break.
The €25 million-rated ace has been good with his direct runs against the backline. He looks more menacing in the final third than Antony, but still needs to improve his decision-making in the box.
In our opinion, Garnacho could directly benefit Rashford, who has had a similarly frustrating campaign.
The England international tends to play on the right to accommodate Garnacho and this could be a good thing for him. He rarely attempts to cross the ball when operating from the left flank.
The 26-year-old prefers to regularly cut inside to attempt a shot when played on the left, but his thinking is quite different from the right where he is prepared to make crosses.
One of his drilled crosses into the box created the goal versus Luton. It led to havoc in the Hatters defence before Victor Lindelof scored the vital winner from close range.
Garnacho’s presence in the starting line-up could bring a different dimension to Rashford’s game.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions