Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has the ambition of signing Ajax striker Brian Brobbey this winter, according to Florian Plettenberg.
The Red Devils have been linked with many strikers during the ongoing transfer window, but they can’t afford a permanent transfer due to their Financial Fair Play situation.
Despite this, the speculation has refused to cease. Plettenberg today claims that Ten Hag has the idea of bringing Brobbey to Old Trafford before the winter transfer deadline.
However, Ajax are quite clear that their graduate is not for sale at the current point of time and the Red Devils may have to wait until the summer to secure his signature.
Aside from Brobbey, United continue to be linked with Bologna’s Joshua Zirkzee. The Dutchman won’t leave this winter, but has a €50 million release clause for the summer.
Ten Hag’s interest in Brobbey unsurprising
The Dutch tactician has had a preference for his former players at Ajax. He signed Lisandro Martinez and Antony from the Amsterdam club after he was appointed at United in 2022.
Ten Hag was also interested in reuniting with Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, but the Netherlands international was quite clear that he did not want to leave his club.
It is now claimed that Ten Hag wants to work with Brobbey. It does not surprise us. The 21-year-old had a positive loan spell under the 53-year-old at Ajax before rejoining them permanently.
Brobbey netted seven goals during the back end of the 2021/22 season. Ten Hag tried to lure him to Old Trafford, but the striker made the choice to return to Ajax from RB Leipzig.
The young striker has 17 goal contributions from just 25 appearances for Ajax this term. A mid-season deal is unlikely, but Ten Hag could eye a summer move if he remains in the job.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow