Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has his sights on beating Chelsea to the signing of Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries next summer.
The Netherlands international has been constantly linked with a move to the Premier League and it was claimed yesterday that Ten Hag is ‘pushing‘ United to sign him.
It is now reported by Calciomercato that Chelsea are still in the front row to sign the Dutchman, but Ten Hag has the ‘right arguments’ to bring him to Old Trafford.
However, the manager will have to wait until June 2023 to prise him away as Inter Milan have no plans of parting ways with him midway through the current season.
The Nerazzurri need to sanction a big sale next summer to balance their books. Dumfries looks on course to leave. The 26-year-old is valued between €50-60 million.
Dumfries would perfectly fit into Ten Hag’s playing style
Ten Hag has relied on Diogo Dalot at right-back during the first half of the campaign. Aaron Wan-Bissaka has played just four competitive minutes as a substitute.
The former Crystal Palace man is clearly out-of-favour under the Red Devils manager, who has occasionally played Tyrell Malacia as a makeshift right-back.
This would provide the club with ample time to land a quality right-back in the transfer market. In our view, Dumfries would be perfectly suited for Ten Hag’s playing style.
The 26-year-old is an attacking full-back who can provide key passes into the box. He is also good when it comes to the defensive scheme of things and has won several duels.
Dumfries has been playing at right wing-back for the past 18 months, but prior to that, he was a traditional right-back for PSV where he made over 200 appearances.
United may have one big advantage over Chelsea in the fact that they could assure him a regular starting role in case he makes an impressive start to his Premier League career.
At Stamford Bridge, he may end up playing second fiddle to Reece James. The England star is one of the world’s best in his position. Dumfries may not displace him barring injuries.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest