Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has convinced Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong over a move to Old Trafford this summer, according to The Mirror.
The Netherlands international has been the Red Devils’ number one midfield target, and the club have already failed with an opening bid worth £60 million.
Barcelona have asked United to pay a joint-club record fee of £89m, but The Mirror report that a sum of £68m plus add-ons could seal the Dutchman’s transfer.
De Jong’s desire to play Champions League football has been cited as a stumbling block in recent weeks, but Ten Hag has finally convinced him over a move.
Ten Hag explained how he is planning to bring the glory days back to United and also highlighted the midfielder’s success under him at Ajax. De Jong has now given the green light to join the club.
United have been heavily linked with Darwin Nunez and De Jong this summer. The former appears on the cusp of joining Liverpool, but the signing of De Jong would still be a big statement.
The hierarchy are willing to back Ten Hag with funds to pursue his preferred players. The 25-year-old would be an excellent acquisition as he is well versed with the Dutchman’s style of play.
De Jong operated from the number six position at Ajax, but has been playing more centrally at Barcelona with Sergio Busquets being the defensive midfielder. He should feature in his preferred role at United.
He is not necessarily a tough tackler, but has excelled with his concentration and anticipation. He won nearly four ground duels per league game last term, but his passing is his main strength.
The midfielder has completed over 91 per cent passes on average in his career and has the ability to make tireless runs into the final third with his strong dribbling ability as well as ball control.
He could seamlessly adapt to Ten Hag’s tactical system, having worked with the manager for two-and-a-half seasons at Ajax. Aside from De Jong, Ajax winger Antony could soon make the switch to United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer