Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has asked the club to sign Inter Milan star Denzel Dumfries, Gazzetta dello Sport (today’s edition) reports.
The Red Devils are planning a mini-squad rebuild this summer, and a new defensive midfielder is reportedly the main priority.
However, there are several other positions that need to be reinforced for next season. One of those is the right-back department.
According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Ten Hag is considered as an admirer of Dumfries, and has ‘asked’ the club to secure his services.
A deal may not be straightforward with Chelsea also interested in him.
Dumfries had a terrific Euro 2020 with the Netherlands on a personal level before he made the move to Inter Milan last summer.
The 26-year-old continued his fine form with the Nerazzurri last season with five goals and seven assists from 45 appearances.
All of his outings were from the right wing-back role, but he previously played his entire career from the right-back position.
Hence, he should not have any difficulties in operating from the back four, and would provide United with a much-needed upgrade.
Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka failed to register a goal or an assist last term, and the latter has been tipped for a summer exit.
Dumfries with his attacking intent should fit in perfectly under Ten Hag, who prefers full-backs that can make regular overlapping runs.
Chelsea are also interested in landing his signature, but United may have the edge as they can assure him with a guaranteed starting spot.
For the Blues, Reece James is a regular at right wing-back. While he can also play in the back three, he fares best in the former of those roles.
Meanwhile, it has been reported that Dumfries would prefer a move to United as the presence of Ten Hag could help him adapt quickly.
He could be prised away for £26 million amid Inter’s financial concerns.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United plan to enter the transfer race for Moises Caicedo
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad