Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has asked the club to sign Inter Milan star Denzel Dumfries, Gazzetta dello Sport (today’s edition) reports.
The Red Devils are planning a mini-squad rebuild this summer, and a new defensive midfielder is reportedly the main priority.
However, there are several other positions that need to be reinforced for next season. One of those is the right-back department.
According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Ten Hag is considered as an admirer of Dumfries, and has ‘asked’ the club to secure his services.
A deal may not be straightforward with Chelsea also interested in him.
Dumfries had a terrific Euro 2020 with the Netherlands on a personal level before he made the move to Inter Milan last summer.
The 26-year-old continued his fine form with the Nerazzurri last season with five goals and seven assists from 45 appearances.
All of his outings were from the right wing-back role, but he previously played his entire career from the right-back position.
Hence, he should not have any difficulties in operating from the back four, and would provide United with a much-needed upgrade.
Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka failed to register a goal or an assist last term, and the latter has been tipped for a summer exit.
Dumfries with his attacking intent should fit in perfectly under Ten Hag, who prefers full-backs that can make regular overlapping runs.
Chelsea are also interested in landing his signature, but United may have the edge as they can assure him with a guaranteed starting spot.
For the Blues, Reece James is a regular at right wing-back. While he can also play in the back three, he fares best in the former of those roles.
Meanwhile, it has been reported that Dumfries would prefer a move to United as the presence of Ten Hag could help him adapt quickly.
He could be prised away for £26 million amid Inter’s financial concerns.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- The Latest Man United Transfer News & Rumours
- Napoli ace Kim Min-jae moves out of his house, expected to join Man Utd after military training
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed