Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has already spoken with Nice defender Jean-Clair Todibo, according to Nice-Matin (today’s edition).
The Red Devils are currently in advanced talks with West Ham United over the sale of Harry Maguire. They are likely to sanction his departure as soon as they identify his replacement.
Bayern Munich’s Benjamin Pavard has been heavily linked this week, but Nice-Matin claim that Ten Hag has recently held talks on the phone with Todibo.
It is added that the Frenchman is excited by the prospect of joining a ‘prestigious’ club like United. Nice are prepared to sell him for around €40 million.
Todibo would be a better signing than Pavard
Todibo has developed into a top-class centre-back since his move to Nice from Barcelona.
Last season, he was hugely consistent in the French top-flight. The 24-year-old completed 89 per cent of his passes, winning 2.2 tackles and 4.4 duels per game.
In comparison, Pavard had quite similar statistics for Bayern. The Frenchman had a passing accuracy of 90 per cent. He won 2.3 tackles and five duels per outing.
However, we would personally prefer the club to sign Todibo. He is almost four years younger than Pavard and has more room to develop with the Red Devils.
Pavard has the added ability to operate at right-back, but United don’t require another option in the role with the presence of Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
United had a scout in attendance to watch Todibo against Lille tonight. This could be a big hint that they are considering a formal approach in the coming days.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray