Manchester United had a relatively quiet winter transfer window compared to their Premier League rivals but they did make some quality signings to reinforce the squad.
The arrivals of Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer should boost the club’s prospects of qualifying for the Champions League while also ending their six-year trophy drought.
Weghorst has already had five games in the United shirt and the fans will now be eagerly awaiting Sabitzer to make his debut after his deadline day loan move.
United initially had no plans of bolstering their midfield department last month, but their hands were forced after the long-term ankle injury sustained by Christian Eriksen.
Hence, they brought in Sabitzer on a temporary deal from Bayern Munich and in our opinion, the Austrian could prove to be one of the best signings of the winter transfer window.
Sabitzer looked a lost figure at Bayern where he was barely in the starting line-up over the last 18 months, but it was a completely different story when he was with RB Leipzig.
The Austrian led by example at the Bundesliga outfit with his regular goal contributions. While central midfield is his primary role, Sabitzer can also play anywhere in the attack.
United have got themselves a terrific multi-dimensional player. In our view, manager Erik ten Hag finally has an ideal box-to-box midfielder in Sabitzer, who is an upgrade on Christian Eriksen.
Eriksen has been fabulous for the Red Devils this campaign. His creativity and passing accuracy in the final third has been impressive. However, he is not the most efficient defensive wise.
The Dane has been caught napping on a number of occasions this campaign. In Sabitzer, United have a player, who tends to win more duels and does not shy away from making strong tackles.
Sabitzer averaged 3.9 tackles per 90 minutes in Bundesliga this season. The club now have a more energetic and physical midfielder, who will be determined to prove a point to his new employers.
The €20 million-rated star will be hoping to secure a permanent deal with his displays.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books