Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is looking forward to another derby goal from Bruno Fernandes during today’s Premier League clash against Manchester City.
The Red Devils are currently on a three-match winning streak in all competitions. They have had nervy moments in each of those games, but have been on the winning side.
The players will need to step up for the Manchester derby this afternoon. Ahead of the game, Ten Hag was asked whether Fernandes has not had the same impact against the ‘Big Six’ clubs.
In response, the manager highlighted that the Portuguese scored in the same fixture last term and added that he will be happy as long as the midfielder repeats the feat against the Cityzens.
He said: “Last year he scored, so I don’t know. As long as he does that again, I am happy. No. Bruno [Fernandes] is one of those players that when we have a lot of the ball he is at his best.”
Ten Hag also mentioned that the £47 million signing is at his best when United have lots of possession and against top teams like Man City, the most important thing is to be on the winning side.
He added: “No. Bruno [Fernandes] is one of those players that when we have a lot of the ball he is at his best. There are games against top teams when we have less of the ball, so maybe then there are less moments.”
“Then it is about taking benefit from such moments and then for this, you have to work hard for the team and to get a result because that is the most important thing, that the team is winning.”
Fernandes scored the vital equaliser in the same fixture at Old Trafford last season. The goal brought a lot of debate, given Marcus Rashford seemed to be interfering in an offside position in the lead-up.
Rashford was the hero in the end with the match winner soon after. United fans will be hoping for a similar performance such that the club can avoid losing further ground on the top four.
The club are already five points behind fourth-placed Liverpool while they are 11 points behind leaders Tottenham Hotspur with a game in hand. The derby is a must-win game in our opinion.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action