Manchester United were hugely disappointing on Sunday afternoon as they shared the spoils against Newcastle United in the Premier League.
The Red Devils managed just two shots on target over 90 minutes and were also guilty of squandering a couple of golden scoring chances towards the end.
Erik ten Hag was still pleased with the output, but the Dutchman will no doubt want to make changes ahead of the midweek game against Tottenham Hotspur.
Here are three players that could be dropped after the 0-0 draw:
The Brazilian had an excellent opportunity to prove himself in the absence of Christian Eriksen through illness. However, he barely made an impact over 90 minutes. While his distribution was pretty good, he was dispossessed on 16 occasions while winning just three out of 12 duels. On top of this, he failed to find the back of an open goal in the 88th minute. It is unclear whether Eriksen will be fit to face his former club but Fred could still be dropped with Scott McTominay back from suspension.
Ronaldo did not have the best of games against the Magpies. He tended to drop into deeper positions more often and there were no surprises that he was substituted in the back end of the game. Marcus Rashford, who came on for him, created a superb chance for Fred. He also missed the opportunity to score with a free header in the final seconds. Rashford was definitely more menacing in attack and should be backed to lead the line over Ronaldo on Wednesday.
Fernandes has been struggling for consistency over a number of months. His displays during the back end of last season were far from convincing and the trend has pretty much continued. Operating from the number 10 role, he did not provide much going forward and was guilty of losing possession all too often. If Eriksen is available for selection, he could play in Fernandes’ spot against his former employers with Casemiro and McTominay operating in the centre of the park.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr