Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag ‘continues to push’ for a reunion with Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 16).
The Morocco international has been heavily linked with a move to the Red Devils this summer. He has already agreed personal terms, but the club still need to finalise a fee.
Ten Hag is keen on reuniting with his former Utrecht player, but United are yet to make a suitable offer. The Serie A side are willing to sell as long as their €30 million price is met.
Fiorentina owner and president Rocco Commisso is playing the waiting game at the moment with nearly a month left before the summer transfer window closes.
United could move for Amrabat after midfield exits
United have already spent £162m (€188m) on new signings in the current transfer window. On the other hand, they have recouped less than £21m (€24.5m) from outgoings.
Hence, the club may not make a formal bid for Amrabat until they offload a couple of midfielders. Fred has already been put up for sale. He could leave for around €10m.
Donny van de Beek could follow him through the exit door. The Red Devils have set an asking price of £25m (€29m) for the Dutchman amid interest from Real Sociedad.
Should United succeed in offloading the pair, they could make a genuine effort to land Amrabat, who would be a good upgrade in the defensive midfield department.
Casemiro is currently the undisputed starter in the position, but the Moroccan would provide quality competition with his terrific ball control and strong distribution skills.
Amrabat is unlikely to settle for the back-up role at United. The 26-year-old will be determined to break into the starting plans of Ten Hag when the opportunity arises.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action