Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Raphael Varane is ready to play against Fulham in Saturday’s early Premier League kick-off.
The Red Devils have suffered back-to-back 3-0 losses in all competitions and Ten Hag will be hoping to arrest the slide against the Cottagers on the road.
Ahead of the encounter, the club have already received disappointing news with Casemiro ruled out for several weeks with a hamstring injury.
Speaking in today’s press conference, Ten Hag has now revealed that Varane is back in contention after missing the midweek game with an illness.
However, the Dutchman added that Victor Lindelof is doubtful with some illness and he will be assessed ahead of the west London trip tomorrow.
He told Manutd.com: “Varane is ready to play, he will travel with the squad. Victor Lindelof has some illness and we’ll have to see if he’s ready for tomorrow.”
Varane’s return is a huge boost for United
The Frenchman has not played in back-to-back games for the club. He missed the Manchester derby due to tactical reasons, according to the manager.
He was anticipated to return for the Carabao Cup fourth round tie against Newcastle, but did not even make the squad after going down with illness.
United lost 3-0 in both of those games at Old Trafford and it seems a no-brainer to reinstate the World Cup winner in the starting XI at Craven Cottage.
It appears likely that he will be partnered by Harry Maguire in central defence with Lindelof doubtful.
Diogo Dalot and Sergio Reguilon should make up the backline unless Ten Hag plans to start Aaron Wan-Bissaka at right-back. In that case, Dalot could move to the left-back spot.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action