Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed a triple boost ahead of the Premier League clash against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford on Sunday.
The Red Devils ended 2023 on a disappointing note with a 2-1 league defeat at Nottingham Forest, but they are still only nine points adrift of the Champions League spots.
The club have the opportunity to close the gap with a victory over Spurs and ahead of the game, Ten Hag has confirmed that he will have three players back in the squad.
Christian Eriksen and Amad Diallo missed the recent 2-0 FA Cup third round win at Wigan Athletic through illness. They are expected to return against the north London club.
The manager also revealed that Antony should be back in the matchday squad after overcoming a minor adductor issue which kept him out of Monday’s game at the DW Stadium.
He said: “I don’t know. What do you expect? We have had a lot of injuries, so this week in training, the last couple of days, Licha Martinez training, Casemiro training, Luke Shaw training, so there are players returning, they are coming in for selection for Sunday.”
“Antony, yeah. Eriksen was ill in the week, he will return. Antony will return. Amad will return. We have more choice in this moment in the squad to put out a starting XI and create a bench that is stronger.”
United must return to winning ways in the Premier League
The Red Devils had a forgettable first half to the top-flight campaign with nine defeats. Despite this, they are still in contention for the top four with a nine-point deficit.
The club must return to winning ways against Ange Postecoglou’s side this weekend. They have the chance to pile the pressure on fourth-placed Arsenal with a victory.
The Gunners are in a wretched run of form with only one point from their last three games.
Meanwhile, the return of Eriksen, Antony and Amad should benefit United. Eriksen could be drafted straight into the starting XI ahead of Scott McTominay in the number eight role.
Antony and Amad, however, could be limited to minutes off the bench. Alejandro Garnacho has established himself as a regular on the right wing with key goal contributions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony