Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that the club have discussed the option of playing Mason Mount from the right wing.
The England international joined the club from Chelsea for £55 million over the summer. He made just two Premier League appearances before suffering a hamstring injury.
Mount is expected to make his comeback in tonight’s game versus Burnley. The 24-year-old has been involved in team training over the week and could start at Turf Moor.
Speaking prior to the game, Ten Hag was asked about the prospect of playing Mount from the right wing, considering the club are short in choices in the position at the moment.
In response, he told reporters on Friday: “This has been discussed before, but we have options on the right to fill this in and we will see how we fill it in.”
“As I say, we have the options, but also they have to be available and then, yeah, you have to get the routines in. But yeah, the principles and rules, they are clear.”
Mount could start on right wing vs Burnley
The Blues graduate was United’s first big signing of the summer but he has yet to make his mark, having suffered an untimely injury at the start of the season.
He will be keen to make amends after his comeback. Ten Hag could opt to start him on the right wing with the lack of experience in the position at the moment.
With Jadon Sancho and Antony suspended, Facundo Pellistri is the only specialist from the role, but he has yet to make his full Premier League debut for United.
As per Transfermarkt, Mount has made just 13 appearances from the right wing in his career, but has been effective with five goals and five assists.
The £250,000-a-week star could start from the position against Burnley tonight. We could also see him interchanging roles with captain Bruno Fernandes.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling