Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided a double injury boost ahead of Sunday’s Premier League meeting against Liverpool at Anfield.
The Red Devils recently progressed to the quarter-final of the FA Cup following an impressive 3-1 comeback win over West Ham United at Old Trafford.
They will be back in league action after a fortnight on Sunday and ahead of the game, Ten Hag has revealed positive news on the injury front.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Ten Hag said that Luke Shaw is expected to return to the squad after missing the Cup game with a minor injury.
The Dutch tactician added that he anticipates Jadon Sancho to be available as well after a bout of illness which kept him out of the midweek game.
He told Manutd.com: “I think we will have players back. Yesterday Luke Shaw was not available, so we expect him back. Sancho was ill, but we will have to wait and see how that develops but I think [he could be available] as well.”
United eyeing Premier League double over Liverpool
Over the past few years, Liverpool have been the better side in the league, but there has been a power shift this term with United’s transformation under Ten Hag.
The Red Devils are currently 10 points ahead of their arch-rivals in the table. They will be aiming for their first victory at Anfield since January 2016 where they won 1-0.
United will also be eyeing their first league double over the Reds since the 2015/16 campaign.
Ten Hag should make plenty of changes on Sunday afternoon with the regulars returning to the XI. The game is a must-win for the club to keep their slim title hopes alive.
By Sunday, United could be 14 points adrift of leaders Arsenal with two games in hand. A win would keep the club in the title hunt while dampening Liverpool’s top four bid.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups