Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed a double injury boost ahead of the Premier League clash against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways last night with a 2-0 victory over Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup third round. Diogo Dalot and Bruno Fernandes were the goalscorers.
Ten Hag will be aiming to carry the momentum into the Spurs game this weekend. Speaking in his post-match comments yesterday, the Dutchman said that he could have two players back.
Christian Eriksen is anticipated to return after his brief illness while Luke Shaw is also likely to make the squad after recovering from a muscular injury which has kept him out of recent outings.
Ten Hag said on the €51 million-rated duo: “Yeah. I think there will be some players, I think it’s hopeful that they can be back at the weekend. So I’m talking about Christian Eriksen, potentially Luke Shaw.”
When asked on the likes of Harry Maguire and Mason Mount, Ten Hag was doubtful over the former’s availability and added that the latter needs a week more in training.
He added: “Harry maybe, Mason I think he needs some days or a week more.”
Eriksen & Shaw on course to return vs Spurs
Scott McTominay started in the number eight position against the Latics last night. He was largely ineffective in the box with three big chances missed over 90 minutes.
We won’t be surprised if he drops to the bench with Eriksen replacing him. The Dane is currently the club’s best creative outlet from the centre of the park with Mount yet to become match fit.
Meanwhile, Dalot had a credible performance at the DW Stadium with a goal. The Portuguese is not the best defensively from left-back compared to his preferred right-back position.
However, Ten Hag has backed him in recent weeks ahead of a specialist left-back in Sergio Reguilon. The Spaniard has now returned to Spurs after United triggered a break clause in his loan deal.
Keeping Shaw’s injury record in mind, the manager may want to ease him back into first-team action. The Englishman could make an appearance off the bench on Sunday if required.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow