Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Harry Maguire and Antony will make the matchday squad for Thursday’s Europa League meeting against Barcelona.
The Red Devils played out an entertaining 2-2 draw in the first leg of the Europa League knockout play-off at Camp Nou. They could have easily won the game with the chances on offer.
United will start tomorrow’s second leg as favourites and speaking in his pre-match conference, Ten Hag has provided positive news on the fitness of Maguire and Antony.
The duo were initially anticipated to miss the encounter, but Ten Hag has now confirmed that they are expected to return. Anthony Martial, however, won’t be available.
He told Manutd.com: “We still have training to do. I expect to have Maguire and Antony back. Anthony Martial is not available. He is back on the pitch, we wait for team training.”
Antony’s return is a big boost for Man Utd
United have missed the services of Antony for the past few weeks with a leg injury and his return is a huge boost for the club ahead of the second leg against Barcelona.
In his absence, Fernandes has been operating from the right wing in recent games. We should see the Portuguese playing in his customary number 10 role if Antony is deemed fit to start.
Meanwhile, Erik ten Hag has a big decision to make in his midfield. He has played Wout Weghorst in an unfamiliar number eight role but could drop him to pick three specialist midfielders.
In our view, the Dutch tactician should go with Casemiro, Marcel Sabitzer and Fred as his three-man midfield. Lisandro Martinez’s return from a European suspension is also a big boost for United.
Martinez should partner Raphael Varane in central defence thus allowing Luke Shaw to play in the left-back position. Shaw had a mixed outing at the heart of the backline in the first leg. He was caught out of position a few times and will be glad to see Martinez return.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March