Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that the club have triggered the extension clauses on the contracts of Diogo Dalot, Fred, Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw.
The Red Devils have had an impressive first half to the season under Ten Hag. They are currently only three points behind fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League with a game in hand.
Dalot, Rashford and Shaw have been mainstays in Ten Hag’s line-up this season while Fred has also played a credible role when Christian Eriksen has been unavailable or unfit for selection.
The club have now exercised a 12-month extension clause on their respective contracts which were expiring in June next year. Ten Hag has confirmed the same saying: “Yes, I can confirm it.”
“We are happy because the squad is going in the right direction and those players [have] a massive contribution in that direction.”
Man Utd must finalise long-term deals for key players
United have given themselves time with the 12-month extensions and they must now open negotiations with the players over new long-term deals.
Dalot and Rashford have been the most-improved players under Ten Hag this season and the priority could be given to renew their contracts first.
Dalot has been an undisputed starter at right-back when fit. He has started in 20 of the club’s 22 games in all competitions since Ten Hag took charge.
Meanwhile, Rashford has regained his lost confidence after a difficult 2021/22 season. The England star has bagged nine goals and three assists this term.
The Red Devils graduate is currently on the radar of both Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid and United may need to make him their highest earner.
Shaw also deserves a new deal after winning back his left-back spot from Tyrell Malacia but it seems unlikely that Fred will be at the club next season.
United have probably triggered Fred’s clause to secure a transfer fee. French champions Paris Saint-Germain are ready to meet the £30 million price tag.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest