Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that the club have triggered the extension clauses on the contracts of Diogo Dalot, Fred, Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw.
The Red Devils have had an impressive first half to the season under Ten Hag. They are currently only three points behind fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League with a game in hand.
Dalot, Rashford and Shaw have been mainstays in Ten Hag’s line-up this season while Fred has also played a credible role when Christian Eriksen has been unavailable or unfit for selection.
The club have now exercised a 12-month extension clause on their respective contracts which were expiring in June next year. Ten Hag has confirmed the same saying: “Yes, I can confirm it.”
“We are happy because the squad is going in the right direction and those players [have] a massive contribution in that direction.”
Man Utd must finalise long-term deals for key players
United have given themselves time with the 12-month extensions and they must now open negotiations with the players over new long-term deals.
Dalot and Rashford have been the most-improved players under Ten Hag this season and the priority could be given to renew their contracts first.
Dalot has been an undisputed starter at right-back when fit. He has started in 20 of the club’s 22 games in all competitions since Ten Hag took charge.
Meanwhile, Rashford has regained his lost confidence after a difficult 2021/22 season. The England star has bagged nine goals and three assists this term.
The Red Devils graduate is currently on the radar of both Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid and United may need to make him their highest earner.
Shaw also deserves a new deal after winning back his left-back spot from Tyrell Malacia but it seems unlikely that Fred will be at the club next season.
United have probably triggered Fred’s clause to secure a transfer fee. French champions Paris Saint-Germain are ready to meet the £30 million price tag.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract