Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Antony will be in consideration for Tuesday’s Champions League group stage game against Galatasaray.
The Red Devils welcome the Turkish champions to Old Trafford tomorrow and they will be aiming to return to winning ways after the 1-0 Premier League loss to Crystal Palace.
Ahead of the game, Ten Hag has revealed that Antony is in contention after returning to team training yesterday. A final decision will be made after today’s final training session.
He said in today’s press conference: “Antony will be in consideration but yesterday was his first time back in team training. We have a final training, then we’ll make a decision.”
Antony’s return is a boost for United
Ten Hag has experimented with his attacking options in the absence of Antony. We have seen Bruno Fernandes starting from the right wing on a couple of occasions.
The Portuguese is best suited to the number 10 role. Antony’s comeback would allow the manager to pick his preferred attacking line-up against Galatasaray tomorrow.
Marcus Rashford, Fernandes, Antony and Rasmus Hojlund are definitely Ten Hag’s go-to choices in attack. He could finally line up the quartet together in the starting XI.
Antony, who is currently valued at €60 million by Transfermarkt, has had a tough start to his second season, but the Brazilian is an upgrade on Facundo Pellistri.
Alejandro Garnacho has been knocking on the door for a regular starting role, but he may feature off the bench as both him and Rashford tend to favour the left wing.
Rashford has been struggling with his form since the international break, but Ten Hag backed him to find his rhythm following the surprise defeat to Palace over the weekend.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin