Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Andre Onana will return to the squad for Thursday’s clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The Red Devils will travel to Molineux to face Wolves in their upcoming Premier League game.
Altay Bayindir made his debut in United’s 4-2 win over Newport County in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday.
This was the first United game Onana missed since his arrival from Inter Milan in the summer.
The 27-year-old is set to return from international duty for Cameroon at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Ten Hag admitted that Bayindir had a composed debut but hinted that Onana would be between the sticks against Wolves.
He said (via ManUtd.com): “I think it was a composed debut [by Bayindir]. Some good saves, so very composed.
“I think, overall, he can be happy. I was pleased with his performance. Andre Onana will be back for Thursday.
“Maybe, for the first time as long as I was manager, I can pick a team from the squad that is probably the strongest here.”
Andre Onana still needs to prove himself
Replacing David de Gea was never going to be easy. Onana came with a good reputation after helping Inter Milan reach the Champions League final.
However, the Cameroon international has made many errors in his short Red Devils career which has not helped him settle at the club.
Ten Hag has constantly backed the goalkeeper and he could come back into the starting XI at Wolves.
Onana made only one appearance for Cameroon at the AFCON. He was dropped to the bench against both Gambia and Nigeria.
The United manager must not be afraid to do the same if Onana continues making mistakes.
Bayindir made a couple of decent saves against Newport County. He was not at fault for either of the two goals United conceded.
He was tentative with his distribution, but his confidence will only grow when he is consistently given opportunities.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow