Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has challenged star Marcus Rashford to score 35 goals this season.
Rashford has been United’s standout performer under Ten Hag, bagging 20 goals and six assists across competitions.
The manager has set a new challenge for the forward for the remainder of the campaign.
He said (via ManUtd.com): “[There is] much more to come [from Marcus] and we have months to play, important months.
“We have to get into a position where we can win trophies, till now, where we are, Marcus has had a big impact this season.
“I remember at the start of the season, I was questioning can he score 20 goals, now he has that marker, he has scored 20 goals, but now it’s about getting more.
“He has to challenge himself to get 30 or 35, but the most focus has to be on the next goal and if you be in that focus, you will see where you end up. But most important, finally, is that we win as a team.”
Marcus Rashford can lead Manchester United to trophies
After a couple of disastrous years, Rashford has hit new heights under the new manager.
His staggering form has helped the Red Devils to be alive in all four competitions, including holding third spot in the Premier League.
With Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit and Anthony Martial’s recurring injuries, Rashford has taken the role of United’s talisman.
He is set to overtake his highest-ever goal tally of 22 in a season, but his job is not finished after reaching the 20-goal mark.
The Red Devils have not won silverware for the last six years. This campaign will be marked as Rashford’s season of redemption if he can help his team end their trophy drought.
Ten Hag’s challenge for the England international to score 15 more goals in the remainder of the campaign may be tough to achieve, but it is possible.
Post-World Cup, Rashford has hit the net in virtually every game. He has seven goal contributions in his last eight Premier League games.
The Dutchman will want Rashford to keep adding goals to his tally and remind Old Trafford how it used to feel to celebrate with a trophy.
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups