Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has challenged star Marcus Rashford to score 35 goals this season.
Rashford has been United’s standout performer under Ten Hag, bagging 20 goals and six assists across competitions.
The manager has set a new challenge for the forward for the remainder of the campaign.
He said (via ManUtd.com): “[There is] much more to come [from Marcus] and we have months to play, important months.
“We have to get into a position where we can win trophies, till now, where we are, Marcus has had a big impact this season.
“I remember at the start of the season, I was questioning can he score 20 goals, now he has that marker, he has scored 20 goals, but now it’s about getting more.
“He has to challenge himself to get 30 or 35, but the most focus has to be on the next goal and if you be in that focus, you will see where you end up. But most important, finally, is that we win as a team.”
Marcus Rashford can lead Manchester United to trophies
After a couple of disastrous years, Rashford has hit new heights under the new manager.
His staggering form has helped the Red Devils to be alive in all four competitions, including holding third spot in the Premier League.
With Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit and Anthony Martial’s recurring injuries, Rashford has taken the role of United’s talisman.
He is set to overtake his highest-ever goal tally of 22 in a season, but his job is not finished after reaching the 20-goal mark.
The Red Devils have not won silverware for the last six years. This campaign will be marked as Rashford’s season of redemption if he can help his team end their trophy drought.
Ten Hag’s challenge for the England international to score 15 more goals in the remainder of the campaign may be tough to achieve, but it is possible.
Post-World Cup, Rashford has hit the net in virtually every game. He has seven goal contributions in his last eight Premier League games.
The Dutchman will want Rashford to keep adding goals to his tally and remind Old Trafford how it used to feel to celebrate with a trophy.
- ‘A complete and very intelligent player’: Man Utd target backed to shine in the Premier League
- Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under Erik ten Hag after ‘excellent’ display
- Jonny Evans delivers fantastic performance in 200th appearance for Man Utd
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Mejbri starts
- ‘Very happy with him’: Erik ten Hag praises Sergio Reguilon ahead of Burnley clash
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount is an option on the right wing vs Burnley
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Varane returns in three changes
- Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho’s Man Utd future
- Romero says Man Utd star thought he was God on earth, was like that 24 hours a day
- Erik ten Hag hints four Man Utd stars could return vs Burnley