Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has the opportunity to outclass Barcelona by unleashing a midfield trio of Casemiro, Fred and Marcel Sabitzer on Thursday night.
The Red Devils played out an exciting 2-2 draw against Barcelona in the first leg of the Europa League knock play-off last week. They could have easily won the game with the chances created.
Wout Weghorst, who played from a deeper midfield role, was good with his regular pressing but he was guilty of missing a wonderful clear-cut scoring opportunity in the first half.
The Dutchman squandered a similar chance in the 3-0 Premier League win over Leicester City at the weekend and in our opinion, he could drop to the bench for Barcelona’s visit.
Sabitzer was unavailable for selection at Camp Nou with a European suspension while Casemiro could not play against the Foxes as he was serving the third and final game of his domestic ban.
The duo are both available for selection on Thursday night alongside Fred and in our view, Ten Hag can outclass the La Liga leaders by unleashing the trio together at Old Trafford.
Casemiro will obviously play as the lone number six against the Blaugrana. Sabitzer and Fred paired together in central midfield would provide the edge for United in winning key duels.
With both Pedri and Gavi ruled out for Barcelona, United must take advantage. Sergi Busquets is back after injury, but he no longer possesses the same mobility from his prime years.
Ten Hag obviously likes to work with Weghorst in his line-up but we would personally prefer a specialist midfielder in Sabitzer to be paired alongside Casemiro and Fred tomorrow.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books