Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has the opportunity to outclass Barcelona by unleashing a midfield trio of Casemiro, Fred and Marcel Sabitzer on Thursday night.
The Red Devils played out an exciting 2-2 draw against Barcelona in the first leg of the Europa League knock play-off last week. They could have easily won the game with the chances created.
Wout Weghorst, who played from a deeper midfield role, was good with his regular pressing but he was guilty of missing a wonderful clear-cut scoring opportunity in the first half.
The Dutchman squandered a similar chance in the 3-0 Premier League win over Leicester City at the weekend and in our opinion, he could drop to the bench for Barcelona’s visit.
Sabitzer was unavailable for selection at Camp Nou with a European suspension while Casemiro could not play against the Foxes as he was serving the third and final game of his domestic ban.
The duo are both available for selection on Thursday night alongside Fred and in our view, Ten Hag can outclass the La Liga leaders by unleashing the trio together at Old Trafford.
Casemiro will obviously play as the lone number six against the Blaugrana. Sabitzer and Fred paired together in central midfield would provide the edge for United in winning key duels.
With both Pedri and Gavi ruled out for Barcelona, United must take advantage. Sergi Busquets is back after injury, but he no longer possesses the same mobility from his prime years.
Ten Hag obviously likes to work with Weghorst in his line-up but we would personally prefer a specialist midfielder in Sabitzer to be paired alongside Casemiro and Fred tomorrow.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony