Ajax striker Brian Brobbey has confirmed that Manchester United and Erik ten Hag were interested in signing him before his permanent return to Amsterdam from RB Leipzig.
The Dutchman played under Ten Hag at Ajax in two different spells. The latter stint was on a short-term loan in 2022 where he scored seven goals from 12 league appearances.
Brobbey was linked with a reunion with the manager at Old Trafford in the summer of 2022, but he made the decision to rejoin Ajax instead on a long-term deal from Leipzig.
In an interview with De Telegraaf, Brobbey acknowledged that the Red Devils and Ten Hag were keen on signing him, but he and his agent made the decision to go to Ajax.
The 21-year-old added that the two sacrificed huge financial gains to return to the Dutch capital.
He said: “Manchester United wanted me, but I really wanted to return to Ajax permanently. To make this possible, my agent José Fortes Rodriguez even waived his hefty resale percentage.”
“Erik ten Hag called me and at United, José could get his millions and I could earn a multiple of my Ajax salary. But our decision was made: we wanted to go to Ajax.”
United could return for Brobbey this summer
Ajax have had a disappointing campaign in all competitions. They only finished third in their Europa League group and are currently 23 points adrift of the top in the Eredivisie.
Despite their struggles, Brobbey has been a shining light with 12 goals and four assists from 24 appearances. His good form in recent months has coincided with Ajax’s improved displays.
The striker may eventually consider a new challenge in the summer and we won’t be surprised if United make an approach. Ten Hag reportedly wants to bring him to Old Trafford.
Brobbey has a good work rate and a physical presence up front. He is also quick with the ball at his feet and wins most of his aerial challenges despite only being 180cm in height.
For the right price, he would be a quality acquisition to provide competition to Rasmus Hojlund. United should try and secure a deal early such that Ajax don’t raise their asking price.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow