Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has backed Marcus Rashford to make the England squad for the upcoming Nations League games.
The Red Devils graduate has been in sparkling form for the club this term with three goals and two assists from just six Premier League matches.
He missed the recent 1-0 loss to Real Sociedad in the Europa League with a muscle injury, and Ten Hag has confirmed that he has yet to recover.
Despite this, the Dutch tactician is quite clear that Rashford should earn a recall for England duty, having shown great potential and quality this term.
He said via Manchester Evening News: “He’s not available. The consequence after Arsenal. He has a muscle injury.”
“It’s quite clear [can he make England squad], sure, yes. He’s shown his great potential and quality [this season].”
Rashford deserves a recall from Gareth Southgate
Rashford looked void of confidence last season after his shoulder surgery, and there were no surprises that he was not considered by Gareth Southgate.
The Three Lions boss insisted that Rashford would need to do a lot to earn a recall. In our opinion, the 24-year-old has definitely proved himself this season.
Rashford started the campaign on a slow note against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford, but he has since been hugely influential as the main striker.
He scored the winner in the 2-1 triumph over Liverpool before laying the match-winning assist for Jadon Sancho in the slender 1-0 victory at Leicester City.
Against the Gunners, he played a part in all three goals in the 3-2 win. Unfortunately, he sustained a muscle injury during the closing stages of the game.
We believe that Rashford has been nursing his minor injury over the past 10 days and hopefully, he is deemed fit ahead of the England selection this week.
If he does not make the cut for the upcoming Nations League games, the chances are less that he would be part of the World Cup squad in two months’ time.
Aside from Rashford, Jadon Sancho will also be pushing for a recall to the England national side. Both players have not featured for their country since last year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra