Manchester United are interested in signing Porto striker Mehdi Taremi this summer, according to Portuguese publication Jornal de Noticias.
The Red Devils are looking to pursue a new striker in the current transfer window, and they have already been linked with several high-profile names.
Jornal de Noticias now report that United could be lining up a surprise move for Taremi, who has been on their radar for a significant period of time.
It is added that manager Erik ten Hag appreciates the qualities of the Iran international, who recently turned down a big-money move to Al-Hilal.
Porto are looking for €20 million to part ways with the 30-year-old.
Taremi would be a decent acquisition
The Iranian striker was in tremendous form for Porto last season, scoring 31 goals and providing 14 assists from 51 appearances in all competitions.
Aside from his goal involvements, Taremi completed an impressive 75 per cent of his passes while winning nearly five ground and aerial duels per game.
His all-round attributes could be a reason behind Ten Hag’s interest. In our opinion, Taremi would be a decent acquisition, but should not be the first-choice striker.
He would be a valuable signing as a back-up or a second striker, but not as the main man to lead the line.
We believe the club should target a marquee marksman such as Goncalo Ramos while also pursuing Taremi, who has the traits to succeed in the Premier League.
Taremi would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Wout Weghorst, who struggled to make any sort of impact during his short-term loan deal from Burnley earlier this year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return