Manchester United defender Eric Bailly is irked by the continued presence of Harry Maguire in the starting line-up, Manchester Evening News reports.
Bailly signed a new deal with the Red Devils in April last year. He has since been a bit-part player under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick.
He is currently behind Maguire, Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof in the pecking order. Phil Jones has also been picked ahead of him in the squad.
It is now reported that the Ivorian is annoyed by Maguire’s regular role in the starting line-up despite his inconsistent performances this term.
Having barely played throughout the current campaign, the 27-year-old is now open to the prospect of pursuing a fresh challenge elsewhere.
Bailly has had an injury-plagued career with the Red Devils. This has not helped his chances of cementing a regular starting role under different managers.
The £80,000-per-week star is now down the pecking order with the competition for places. He may still feel hard done by, considering the support received by Maguire lately.
Maguire has been a key figure at the heart of the defence for United, but the current campaign has been a difficult one for him. He has been culpable of making several positional errors.
The England international was briefly dropped for the Watford game, but was reinstated for the Manchester derby on Sunday after Varane was sidelined due to coronavirus.
Maguire did not cover himself in glory. He did not track the run of Kevin de Bruyne for the first goal. He also made the surprise decision to dummy the ball before City’s second goal.
The 29-year-old’s future could come into question during the summer. However, Bailly could push for an exit before that, having played under 500 minutes of first-team football this term.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars