Sweden midfielder Emil Forsberg has admitted that he would like to play alongside Manchester United winger Anthony Elanga at RB Leipzig next season.
Elanga had an impressive breakthrough campaign with United in 2021/22. He was a regular starter under interim boss Ralf Rangnick during the second half of the season.
However, he barely played under manager Erik ten Hag last term. The Sweden international was restricted to only 702 minutes across 26 appearances in all competitions.
It has recently been reported that Elanga is up for sale this summer. Leipzig are one of the clubs interested, and Forsberg is open to working with his compatriot.
Speaking to Fotbollskanalen, Forsberg said that he will sit down with the club president and Oliver Mintzlaff to try and pursue a deal for the ‘talented’ 21-year-old.
He said: “I will sit down with the president, with Oliver, here soon and see what we should do.”
“We’ll see. Anthony would have been a good fit with us. A young player who wants to get better. We’ll see. It can happen.
“I have spoken to Anthony. But it stays between us. I know Anthony quite well, so it’s quite normal if it were to come up.
“But he is a young and talented player who fits in with us. We have been good at developing young and talented players.”
United should part ways with Elanga
Elanga was a favourite under Rangnick, but struggled to impress Ten Hag last season.
The Red Devils graduate has the potential to develop into a top-class winger, but that may not happen at United with the fierce competition for places in the squad.
The club currently have Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Alejandro Sancho competing for the left wing role. Rashford is presently an undisputed starter.
Meanwhile, Antony has been a consistent figure on the right wing since his big-money switch from Ajax. He has only missed games due to minor injury setbacks.
Aside from the Brazilian, United have Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo, who can play on the right flank. Sancho is also comfortable operating from the position.
Hence, Elanga’s future is likely to be away from Old Trafford. Leipzig are in talks over a deal worth €20 million. It seems a fair price for an out-of-favour winger.
It has been a recent trend for clubs to include buy-back clauses when selling academy graduates. United should consider the option while sanctioning Elanga’s exit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action