Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani has his sights on pursuing a fresh challenge elsewhere when his contract expires this summer, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The Uruguayan had a productive debut season with the Red Devils last term. He was injured for part of the campaign, but still impressed with 17 goals across all competitions.
This saw him rewarded with an improved one-year deal ahead of this season, but the decision has not proved worthwhile with just two goals in all competitions for the Red Devils.
His injury troubles have only worsened with just 17 appearances and 761 minutes of first-team action. It is now reported that Cavani will head through the exit door this summer.
His current deal expires on June 30. The 35-year-old is expected to leave regardless of the appointment of Erik ten Hag. He has his sights on a fresh challenge in the Spanish top-flight.
Cavani’s renewal was met by approval from several United fans. He was anticipated to play a key role this season, but his position changed after the shock summer return of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo has made his mark with 18 goals since his comeback, but has not received much support. Interim boss Ralf Rangnick tried to play Cavani alongside Ronaldo, but the partnership has hardly been used this year.
This has been primarily due to Cavani’s injury concerns. It recently appeared that he could play his part in the run-in, only to suffer a fresh calf injury on international duty with Uruguay.
Hence, it appears a no-brainer for United to part ways with him. Rangnick has already acknowledged that the club are bound to pursue a young striker as a successor to Cavani this summer.
A move to the Spanish LaLiga seems Cavani’s preferred choice. Barcelona were interested in him in January before they signed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. It is left to be seen whether the Catalan giants return for him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra